What Type of Street Foods to Avoid in India?

12 January 2014 - 11:29, by , in Living in India, No comments

Street food in India is part of the culture, we have corner shops, vendors on 4 wheel hand carts, to the cycle vendor and even the hand carry vendor available in all parts of the city and country, the better ones are called Dhabas (Mud built shops mostly on Highways, factories and industrial complexes). The street food offers a range of food choices from Kachori to Samoosa, Jalebi, Pav Bhagi, Idli, Dosa, Vada Paw (Indianized burgers) and Chinese food.

Its best, as an expat that one should avoid any kind of street food, once is not used to it and having sensitive digestive systems it can create havoc on the system and give one the infamous “Delhi Belly”.

There are food shops that you shall find in Malls and shopping locations where you will also have better quality street food and shops, these places are more clean and safer to eat.

If eating street food in India, always go with a recommendation, the more famous the place the faster the turn around of food and the lesser possibility of getting contaminated food. Unlike in the west where food is an assembly line, in India the food is made at location and service as per the customer order, food does not come in a cold chain that is heat and serve. Also while ordering, its best to order what everyone is having and always ensure that the food is piping hot, avoid salad and cut fruits as one is not very sure of the water that is used

There is a very large variety of food available in India and one will find a lot of places that service quality, hygienic food that you will enjoy and give you a taste of India, as you must have read that the food and language change every 200 kilometer, enjoy the tempting Street food choices during shopping or outdoor entertainment in India.

Quick Tips
Eat in a recommended place
Always have piping hot dishes
Stay away from Salads and Cut Fruit
Only Drink mineral water and soft drinks.

About author:

Leave a Reply

Get Your Question

Answered by Our Immigration Expert